<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Well Put, Doug Norris 

Letters from readers: "Investing in families

In his commentary in the May 15 Star Tribune, Gov. Tim Pawlenty notes that 'Minnesotans must spend nearly a third of the year working for the government before they start working for themselves and their families.'

His choice of words suggests that the time I spend 'working for the government' is of little benefit to me and my family. On the contrary, I view the taxes I pay as an investment in the community.

My family is better off for government services such as education, transportation, environmental protection, support systems for the needy, etc.

Of course I expect these services to be provided as efficiently as possible, but I make no distinction between what I get to keep and what I pay to support our community. I and my family benefit from both.

Doug Norris, Brooklyn Park."



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?